Saturday, January 22, 2005

Jeanette Winterson

Well, I did read Jeanette Winterson's Light Housekeeping, and it was a good read--a lot more satisfying than The Power Book, which--well--which wasn't, but still not quite The Passion, or Sexing the Cherry. Though she did write those, and Written on the Body, and Oranges are not the Only Fruit (which I am currently re-reading), all of which means that it doesn't much matter what she does now. But here's why author websites are not always a good thing: I checked out her site, and with great curiosity clicked on the poetry page, and there, lo, was the most disappointing list of poets and poems I could have imagined! I was surprised to see Robert Bringhurst on the list--but otherwise it was a very conservative, unimaginative list. How can such an innovative writer not be curious about poetry? Where are the experimental poets? Where are the innovative writers? It wasn't so much who was on her list, but who was not!

No comments: