Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Danforth Review

In my ongoing effort to include All Things Canadian in my sidebar, I have been visiting and revisiting sites. I'm looking to compile a complete list, but given my schedule, it's slow going. The Danforth Review has been on my list for quite some time, and I've been waiting to see how it develops. The site has commentaries and reviews of fiction and poetry, but the tone can be very irritating and combabitve rather than constructive, a kind of undercooked knee-jerked criticism, rather than thoughtful commentary of an enterprise aware of its role in building a larger public discourse. Despite that, the editors of the Danforth Review have compiled an extensive, and impressive, list of interviews with a variety of Canadian writers, and they deserve kudos for such a feat. Really, it's a great resource. Something like the promise of CV2--though we don't actually have those interviews online. You'll find brief interivews with a variety of writers such as playwright Karen Hines, Montreal performance poet/writer Catherine Kidd, Winnipeg performance artists Shawna Dempsey & Lori Millan, poets Anne Simpson and Diana Fitzgerald Bryden, Jason Camlot & rob mclennan, and for those fans of Bookninja, editor George Murray. Check out their archive of interviews.

No comments: