Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I'm it...

Tagged by the poetry meme and ET. Though as usual, I'm not sure I did it right...

The first "real" poem I remember reading was...a poem by Margaret Atwood in The Circle Game, with the words "man-hating bitch" scrawled in the margins.

I was forced to memorize numerous poems in school and...Nope, no one ever asked me to memorize anything but the Ten Commandments for which I was given a dollar per commandment memorized and promptly spent the money in a pool hall.

I read poetry because...I can’t seem to quit it.

A poem I'm likely to think about when asked about a favorite poem is...probably Kenneth Patchen’s Only Cherries, because I discovered Patchen in high school and he made me laugh and I didn't know that was possible in poetry.

I write poetry, because...I love writing it, but I’m not sure why I publish it.

My experience with reading poetry differs from my experience with reading other types of literature...in that it makes me itchy and temperamental and doesn't produce a soporific feeling as with a novel…

I find poetry...often lacks humor.

The last time I heard poetry was...the mellifluous strains of gas-guzzling SUVS barreling down the expressway.

I think poetry is...like a terrible addiction…though one I'm not entirely sure I want to recover from...

No comments: