Wednesday, December 06, 2006

National Day of Mourning

The statistics for violence against women remain alarmingly high, and December 6th remains a highly charged day for me, and many women, particularly in Canada. I can't be in a classroom without knowing where the door is and how to get out--for me it was never a given that I should have access, and even today I'm not convinced that right won't be taken away from me. In Montreal women gather to protest violence and to remember:

Anne St-Arneault, 23; Geneviève Bergeron, 21; Hélène Colgan, 23; Nathalie Croteau, 23; Barbara Daigneault, 22; Anne-Marie Edward, 21; Maud Haviernick, 29; Barbara Klueznick, 31; Maryse Laganière, 25; Maryse Leclair, 23; Anne-Marie Lemay, 22; Sonia Pelletier, 23; Michèle Richard, 21; and Annie Turcotte, 21.

No comments: