Friday, May 04, 2007

Go Sarah!

Sarah Polley the actress has become Sarah Polley the director, and for her first feature she has chosen to transform an Alice Munro story. Gutsy move, and it seems to be paying off: AO Scott calls it near perfect. This is just the thing I needed, a new woman directing films.

I have no desire to see The Namesake, even though I thought Jhumpa Lahiri's The Interpretor of Maladies a thing of absolute beauty, the novel, was less than compelling. And Mira Nair, who did a fabulous job of Vanity Fair, is a strong director, but not strong enough to pull me in to a story that was extremely dull on the page, and I can't imagine how it could possibly be made interesting on screen--beautiful sentences or no.

I'm still suffering from the aftertaste of Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette. Would that it were a parody of America in 2007, but I don't think so...I think it was meant to be an "enlightening" portrait of a misunderstood female historical figure. The fluffy aspects of the film were absolutely delicious, but otherwise, achingly disappointing.

No comments: