Monday, June 11, 2007

Candida Hofer


I've been obsessing about libraries of late, and taken to photographing them whenever possible, and am curating an ever-growing collection of photos of books and bookish people and spaces here on flickr. Lamenting too, that I don't have adequate equipment to take in the wonderful, wonderful light that usually accompanies these spaces.

Now I find that Candida Hofer, fellow student with Andreas Gursky (see below) of Bernd and Hilla Becher, has recently published a book of photographs of libraries. Not surprisingly I suppose since Hofer has been photographing "space" and "absence" for 30 odd years (see a selection of her work here), and quite possibly is responsible for my particular looking and/or appreciation of the light and space in the first place.

No comments: