Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Women who do

Of course there are many who make the world their salon...shall we do an inventory? I still think it would be a small, but fabulous, list. I could start with the blonde Janice Joplin in the parc this afternoon. There was no corner not reverberating with her voice and she didn't give a shit if you wanted to listen. Is that a good thing? Because that's the other question--how to take up space?

As for poets, a random undertaking, but I'll start with Dodie Bellamy because Dodie (pictured here with Kevin Killian), is not interested in being a good girl. I'm sure this makes us good Canadian girls a little nervous. And though we might not be interested in being good girls either, and though we might like to swill Scotch, thump our breast and yawp, there's something to the rumour that we're basically "good girls," and polite right? (Except my friend Kate who once smacked someone at a party in Philadelphia who insinuated as much...and Lynn Crosbie whom I will get to in a bit, and whom I would never dare suggest is a good girl though likely underneath all that bite she is too...and now I'll try not to apologize...)

Anyhow, yes, probably titles such as Cunt Ups and Barf Manifesto would make the average Canadian she-poet uneasy. Which is why you should order them of course--stretch your unease. To start, you can read an interview here, and if you're in Vancouver, you can catch Dodie at the Positions Colloquim that KSW is hosting this month. She has recently posted a video of Ariana Reines, whom I mentioned last week in my post on Coconut, and she will no doubt continue to illuminate and provoke. More on Bellamy when my copy of Barf Manifesto shows up in my mailbox.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

i don't think speaking out is necessarily about swilling scotch, thumping breasts and yawping, but rather being true to oneself and being willing to share that truth with the world. i see people, both male and female who are forced because of their professions, their families or their roles in society to be quiet, to adopt an objective stance to life and i can understand why it's necessary perhaps, but for those that aren't in these situations, i am glad. i feel fortunate to be able to speak my truths & share them with anyone who wants to hear them and also to be able to hear and discuss others' truths. not just thru words, but also other media, such as art and music. and blogs, of course :)i have an occasional feature on my erotica blog featuring the outspoken, i call it sexual warriors; here's an entry about Lydia Lunch: http://amanderotica.blogspot.com/2007/10/sexual-warriors-lydia-lunch.html
thanks for sharing the info about Dodie Bellamy, sounds like someone I'd enjoy reading and knowing.

Dodie Bellamy said...

I often bemoan the passing of my scotch-swilling, breast-thumping days, and my entry into a fairly sedate middle age. But that's what writing's always been about for me since I was a child--this other world where we can let it rip.

Thanks for this wonderful mention of me, Sina.

xox,
Dodie

et said...

Hey Mom here up at 5 am thinking about yr orig salon post and scrolling down to comment at it now. xox Elizabeth

lemonhound said...

Greetings et. Nice to see your moniker attached here.

And welcome Dodie.

I love Lydia Lunch--haven't thought about her since the 90s! Thanks for the reminder Amanda.