Monday, May 18, 2009

Shirin Neshat

Shirin Neshat continues to intrigue but I find myself unable to formulate an opinion. Have you seen this video up at the Walker website. It's quite moving. Moving where I'm not feels a little like Maya Deren. Some of the images just seem too glossed, too commercially composed,
as with the shot above. Refreshing as it is to see the images, that's one of my hesitations. You can see a slide show of more photographs like the one above over at the New Yorker.
Other images and series, and videos such as the one below, are much more compelling, but still, there is something lacking for me. And it may be the dense narrative underpinnings I have grown accustomed to in Wall's work, which is unfair because she isn't doing the same thing at all.
Shirin Neshat, Rapture, 1999, video still. Images courtesy of the artist and Barbara Gladstone Gallery.
Apparently she has turned to film making. Full on. Bringing an Iranian novel to the screen. I am definitely going to see that. I'm very intrigued, and very happy to have the images and discussions her work brings. While I'm not totally won over, I want to be. Interview with the artist here.

No comments: