Friday, June 19, 2009

Fantasies of Summer Reading

It's the time for summer reading lists. Here's a slightly different take on the genre. First, a list of the books that would make it into my suitcase if I had an unlimited budget. I'm not a fan of lists i in this sense, but there you have it. No order, no bests, just what I'm curious about.

Would pack:

Reborn: Journals and Notebooks, 1947-1963
, Susan Sontag, FSG 2009

Heaven is Small, Emily Schultz, Anansi 2009

Amphibian, Carla Gunn, Coach House 2009

Coventry, Helen Humphreys, HC 2009

Calm Things, Shawna Lemay, 2008

My Vocabulary Did This to Me: The Collected Poetry of Jack Spicer, Wesleyan 2008

The Bruise, Magdalena Zurawski, FC2 2008

The Age of Iron, by J.M. Coetzee, Penguin

Rising, Falling, Hovering, C. D. Wright, Copper Canyon Press 2008

Advanced Elvis Course, CA Conrad, Soft Skull 2009

Varieties of Exile, Mavis Gallant, selected by Russell Banks

Grief Lessons, by Euripides translated and with introductory essays by Anne Carson

The New York Stories of Edith Wharton
, Selected and with an introduction by Roxana Robinson

Why Photography Matters as Art as Never Before,
Michael Fried, Yale UP, 2008

Andrea Zittel: Critical Space
, Butler Moriani, Smith, Prestel 2005

Jeff Wall: Selected Essays and Interviews,
MoMA, 2007

The Hidden Wordsworth,
Kenneth Johnston, Norton 1997
Dorothy Wordsworth: A Life,
Frances Wilson, FSG 2009
(not sure either of these are the best choice for Wordsworth bios, still looking)

Already packed (and started, and even in some cases, read several times):


The Letters of Samuel Beckett: Volume 1, 1929-1940,
by Samuel Beckett

Fences in Breathing,
Nicole Brossard, Coach House, 2009

In Cold Blood,
Truman Capote

Buying Cigarettes for the Dog, S
tuart Ross, Freehand 2009

La Medusa,
Vanessa Place, FC2

Poems of Nazim Hikmet,
Persea 2009

Selected Poems, Robert Bringhurst, Gasperau 2009

P.S. While I look forward to not having any internet--yay! I would take Wordsalad's playlist of the day with me, thanks Paul. I'm going to take Jorie Graham with me as well, Sea Change, and Materialism. Hear Graham read The Errancy.

3 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Excellent! Great looking list. Now I'll add some of those to my shopping cart.

AMF said...

What a great list--thanks for sharing!

paul said...

Thanks very much for mentioning my audio posts!
Paul