Saturday, August 15, 2009

Al Green & Marvin Gaye

Oh my god, I adore Al Green... Yes, Tina did it in the 80s, but just let the original marinate a bit. It's from 1971.

Don't give up or adjust the dial on the Marvin Gaye below: the silence in the beginning of this is intentional. I think Michael learned a thing or two from Marvin. This is 1973
Marvin Gaye - Heard it through the Grapevine

I have no idea where that video came from, but wow.
Here's a live 1980 version with back up band:

and of course,

I've changed this last video several times--the footage of Gaye doing that song isn't great. By 1980 he doesn't seem to be hearing the words, and of course he died in 1984, shot by his father. Would love to see something written about Gaye. Something that rises to challenge that is, because clearly there was a lot going on.

No comments: