Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bullet in the Brain

It happens we are discussing this story in my workshop next week. It's from Tobias Wolff, not in general a favorite author of the Hound's, but it's a great story, and among other things, it always reminds me to think about what, and how, I am thinking. You can hear it on the New Yorker read by T. Coraghessan Boyle, or here I give you Tobias Wolff reading the beginning

or a short film based on the story:
I give you part 2 first

There is a part 1 but it takes liberties with the story and loses its subtlety as it does with the one above, hammering away its more lyrical moments, turning up the sentimentality, moments that in the story are so condensed and quick that you don't see the turns coming. So really, I suggest listening, or better yet, reading the story.

No comments: