Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Paraphernalia


Before I could read or write, I loved scribbling lines of what I thought looked like cursive across pages, finishing each document with a flourish of fake signature, and authorizing it with my dad’s drafting business’ embossing seal. This early interest in the writing soon developed into a serious notebook fetish, as well as an obsession with filling these notebooks with text. I find something strangely pleasing about flipping through a notebook that is filled from cover to cover with my handwriting. When I was a teenager and became more interested in writing poetry specifically, I’d often end up scribbling all over napkins if an idea struck me, or, more often, all over my arm when paper was scarce. As I got older and walking around with messy, blue-ballpoint writing all over my left arm seemed less and less appropriate, I went back to the notebooks. Once I started university, I also began typing my poems up on the computer so that I could print and hand them out for workshops. My final project at university included visual poems made to resemble corsets, which I could only produce on the computer. When not working on this project, however, I’ve mostly gone back to the notebooks.


The creative writing program I took, however, tempered my compulsive desire to write. Today, I rarely feel so taken by a line that I need to scribble it on my arm. Instead, poetry has become something careful and calculated that is usually done at a desk, not a bus stop, in line at the bank, or in the middle of a movie. Having completed school and being released back into the wild without this compulsion, the material appeal of writing plays a big role in motivating me to write. A desk crowded with coffee cups, bills, and other randomly discarded junk will keep me from writing for days. A messy desktop on my computer has the same effect. Running out of pens, the right paper, or ink cartridges will send me for a similar dry spell. But I’m not just making excuses. I love to write—not just to put down ideas, but the actual, physical writing part. I find the clacking of keys while text pours onto the screen extremely satisfying. I love the sound my pen makes when I scratch a bad line out of a poem. I love the cracking sound the spine of a new notebook makes the first time I open it, and I love writing my name on the first page. The paraphernalia of writing is not just of peripheral or secondary importance. If you’re feeling blocked, sometimes all you need to get writing is a clear desk, a new blue pen, and crisp sheet of cream-coloured paper—or whatever your fetishized writing tool is. Writing isn’t always just about what you say—sometimes writing is just about how wonderful it is to write.

Here's some of my favourite paraphernalia...











Helen Hajnoczky recently completed her BA Honours in English and creative writing from the University of Calgary, where her research focused on feminist avant-garde poetics. Her work has appeared in Nod, fillingStation, Rampike, and Matrix magazines, as well as in a variety of chapbooks. She is the current poetry editor of fillingStation magazine. Her first book of poetry, Poets and Killers: A Life in Advertising, is forthcoming from Snare Books.

3 comments:

nikki reimer said...

Love this return to materiality on the first day of April. Great post. And nice haircut!

Helen Hajnoczky said...

thanks! :P

Old 333 said...

I like the haircut too...once I had a Miss Clairol do! Just flipping through (gotta keep up with the real art world by sending probes from my own universe - some have returned intact, bearing bizarre information! One just got stuck in an error loop and goes flarf-flarf-flarf to itself, but the others have brought wonderful and disturbing images of this future we all almost share every moment!) any wanted to say - sounds like I was lucky I mangled up my degrees and became a deranged bum....I would HATE to have the 'compulsive' knocked out of my writing. That's one of the two props I have to keep this neverending recursive (and tangled) marionette dance going out here. That, and what else would I do with my time?

Thanks for an interesting post, some good photos (showing us your desk! Oo lala but so cool to see another writer's 'pod', dude. You have so many pens! I want them. (have a lickle pen klepto thang, what kin i say?)) have a little bracket thing too - it's amazing how they vanish from my work when I ingest the large pink pills, and reappear when they've worn off. How complex the moire effects of mindbending. Did you really work in advertising? Scary stuff...that's where the real money for art is, but ooooo is it ever the Devil's bilges when you look at the monsters bred there. Even Ted Geisel is kind of (ok a lot) scary.

Womble womble on i go. Thanks for an interesting post!

PG