Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Joy is to feminism as language is to Exhuastive?

SH: I get asked this a lot, which makes me wonder if there’s too much sugar on my pills. I feel there’s a lot of feminist, anti-homophobic material in there, and that that general ethic underlies the whole book. It’s interesting, though, to hear someone say of “Girlwatching,” which I imagined as two lesbians chatting about gals walking by, “I love that poem about the two guys watching girls.” You have to work hard to keep that heteronormative lens from flipping back into place. In my ridiculous S+7 tampon poem is buried the line “The tomboy should now be comfortably inside you”; I take that line very seriously. I just recorded the entirety of Joy for the Book Madam, Julie Wilson, which meant I had to read the whole of “Nursery” aloud, something I’ve never done. I myself was a bit shocked by the naked emotion of it, and realized I’d written a seriously passionate poem. I guess I’m pretty serious about the power of playfulness, about the ways a ludic disposition toward language puts you in more flexible, empowered relation with it.SH: I get asked this a lot, which makes me wonder if there’s too much sugar on my pills. I feel there’s a lot of feminist, anti-homophobic material in there, and that that general ethic underlies the whole book. It’s interesting, though, to hear someone say of “Girlwatching,” which I imagined as two lesbians chatting about gals walking by, “I love that poem about the two guys watching girls.” You have to work hard to keep that heteronormative lens from flipping back into place. In my ridiculous S+7 tampon poem is buried the line “The tomboy should now be comfortably inside you”; I take that line very seriously. I just recorded the entirety of Joy for the Book Madam, Julie Wilson, which meant I had to read the whole of “Nursery” aloud, something I’ve never done. I myself was a bit shocked by the naked emotion of it, and realized I’d written a seriously passionate poem. I guess I’m pretty serious about the power of playfulness, about the ways a ludic disposition toward language puts you in more flexible, empowered relation with it.


Joy is to feminism as language is to Exhuastive?

No comments: