Monday, July 26, 2010

Headache vs. Animation: Some Short Shorts

Since I've had a migraine all day today, I began searching the internets for some video to offer up curatorially instead of creating my own "content." I came upon this lovely animation by Bruce Bickford, who apparently collaborated with Frank Zappa in the early '70s. As I was partially raised on Zappa, by which I mean brought to frustrated adolescence and then left there, this struck me as an egregious vacancy in my art knowledge.


Beatnik Poet



I found Bruce Bickford via Kiarra Albina's blog on the NFB Hothouse project. She is a Montreal based artist whose name was familiar to me because -- I think -- she drew the graphic for my brother's band's t-shirt. There are indeed 6 degrees of separation in Canada.

I am interested in what Albina is doing with the gesture in this video.


I would also like to see her film Pierogi Pinch, for my own heritage fetishization reasons.

And please note that there is plenty of room within my ideology for pretty pretty.

---------------------------------------------

Nikki Reimer is the author of [sic] (Frontenac House, 2010). She lives in Vancouver, volunteers for the Kootenay School of Writing collective, and chronicles the East Van Cats.

No comments: