Thursday, October 21, 2010

Quickly: Less than Tweets with George Murray



A whole lot of blogging goodness, originally uploaded by lemon hound.

LH: What is the shortest aphorism in your collection?

GM: (Gosh, I don't know.)

Known to man?

Jesus wept?

LH: What is the first aphorism you ever wrote?

GM: I can't even begint to tell you, because I kind of slid into it all. I was writing sonnets that had closing couplets that are like aphorisms (if you remove them from their poems), and then when I started looking back at old journals, I realized I'd been writing them for years, just without any formal awareness.

LH: What is the first aphorism you ever memorized?

GM: I always loved Woody Allen's line about immortality: "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."

LH: Have you seen the Jenny Holzer show? Do you intend to see it while you are in Montreal?

GM: Haven't, but could be convinced!

LH: In what way do Ninjaisms and aphorisms mix?

GM: They intersect at the smart remark, I suppose. Aphorisms, as I do them at least, range from deeper investigations of life and thougth to snappy one-liners and witticisms. Bookninja isn't really a place for deeper investigations, at least not by me. It's a place for that razor-tongued character I've created to take the piss out of everyone and everything. A smart, funny aphorism can do the same thing.

This Friday, October 22, 2010, in other words, George Murray is in Montreal and will read with Jason Camlot at Drawn & Quarterly. The Hound will introduce. 7pm. 211 Bernard Street.

No comments: